1 Cup Risotto Rice
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Cups Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Stick cinnamon
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 a lemon Lemon zest
1 Tsp Orange Blossom Water
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
1 Tbsp ButterUnsalted
ground cinnamonOptional: For Serving
Or Very Rich & Creamy Riz Au Lait
I admit that rice pudding was never part of my childhood. It’s not that we never had it. We did. But it was horrible. At least, this was the memory I have as a child. It was something bland and sticky and tasted like over-cooked white rice with sugar. Not the type of memory you get nostalgic from…
Fast forward few years, I moved to France. And there they have Riz Au Lait which is basically the same thing but because it has a french name I decided to try this dish again and…. I was a changed man!
I Bring here an oven baked version of rice pudding. You get a more balanced result after it spent some time in the oven. The flavor is very rich from the Milk, Cream and Coconut Milk in addition to some spices of course.
Some Tips For Success:
- Use Risotto rice (i.e. Arborio) or a different starchy rice.
- Rice to Liquids ration should be 1 to 4.
- Roasting the spices for 1-2 minutes helps to open their flavor.
- The lemon zest and orange blossom water give this dish a very delicate taste.
- Feel free to serve it with jam, warm fruit sauce, drunk raisins and whatever comes to mind.
By The way, If you like baking rice dishes you might remember our baked risotto which has a very similar cooking method.
Prepping The Liquids & Spices
Baking the rice pudding